Thursday 29 October 2009

The Great Debate

There is a very big debate in our house. One that has been going on since before Matt and I were married. One that might not ever come to a satisfactory conclusion. Unfortunately, due to the fact that Matt and I are both competitive, and very patriotic, Amelia is going to have no choice but to do just that, which is to make a choice. And this choice she's going to have to make will help determine whether she's more American or Aussie.

What is this choice you ask?

It's whether or not she'll prefer peanut butter or vegemite on her morning toast. Now, if you're a smart person, there is no debate. Peanut butter wins out every time. Unless you're one of the crazy few, who think that vegemite (which is yeast...ick) is the best spread around.

Matt is convinced she'll be a huge vegemite fan, and I'm guessing Grandpa K will actually pull for her to like it also. But I'm equally as determined that my daughter, though she's not actually been to America (yet...only 44 days left) will love PB&J's. And this is more than just her preference for peanuts or yeast, this decision will be the first step on the way to determining whether she'll prefer Australia or America, and this journey will only end when she decides which national team she'll play for when she becomes a world class soccer player.

Of course, overall we're both fine with whatever she decides, but we do each secretly wish she would choose our country.

Although, with our luck, she'll probably prefer marmalade or something very British.

5 comments:

Mak said...

Vegemite?!?! Grody, Grody, Grody. There is absolutely no contest. Let me think- sweet, peanutty goodness vs. nasty, yeasty, pre-chewed moldy yuckiness.

Sorry Matt! I'm voting PB. Besides Kate, you are home all day and responsible for at least 2 of the 3 meals- you have all the advantage to win this one.

Jeff Kinsel said...

I don't think Dad supports Vegemite. I seem to remember him telling me that it was "nasty."

older but wiser said...

How lucky to have both cultures. I vote no on vegemite but YES to MUM vs mom

Kate said...

Jeff, I think you're wrong. Because at our wedding reception in Heber, my dad was trying to convince me (and mom etc) to have some vegemite and toast on hand.

It was a bad idea then, and is still bad!

Bek said...

Lemon CURD!! Or she will love something even MORE British than marmalade... CURRY or chutney. ;-)

VOTE Yes toMum but NO to Mummy (too spooky and also calls to mind Veruca on Willy Wanka..we used to make Lauren do her voice...).