Friday 11 July 2008

Life In London...

Frequently Matt and I get oohs and aahs from our friends and (sometime) family members back home about how great it is that we live in London. It became very evident when we were in Utah before we got married. Several times people have commented on how lucky we are to be living in London. And I admit, when an old friend contacts me on Facebook, and we go through the process of updating each other on the happenings in our lives, I do get a little bit of satisfaction when I say I live in London. Because, it does sound pretty exotic and exciting. And to be honest, I was the exact same way, not too many years ago. Maybe it's the 'grass is greener syndrome' but I longed for something different than where I was. Not saying that everyone who comments about how cool it is to live here feels that way, that's just where I was. Also add to that the fact that I'm married to an Aussie, who happens to also be Asian (we call him Austraisan), the comments increase to how fun it is to hear that great accent every day to how cute our mixed race kids are going to be. All things I completely agree with, by the way. Unfortunately, he doesn't get the same reaction to our friends about my accent...American accents just aren't coveted! Ah well, we all have our trials and tribulations.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is on paper, our life does sound pretty exotic and exciting. London is the hub of Europe. It is close to fly to so many neat places. And you can't beat the history of this city. But quite often, the reality is that it's not really that different from where you live. I know what you're thinking now, "Wow, Kate has written this post directly for me, how did she know I'd be reading it? Is she psychic or just a darn good writer?" Well my friend, it's a little bit of both.

Anyway...back to the subject at hand...life in London certainly has it's perks. But it's also got its drawbacks. Like the weather. It rains here. A lot. In fact, it's raining right now as I'm typing this. It's summer, yet I still feel the need to leave the house with a light jacket in tow. The rent we pay for our two tiny two bedroom flat would get us a really nice place in the states. A place where such luxuries aren't just dreams. Luxuries like having a washer that doesn't take an hour (on quickwash) and holds more than five items of clothing. Luxuries like having a dryer. No more hanging clothes on the wire hanger thingy in our spare room. And it would be really, really nice to be able to have our refrigerator actually in the kitchen. No more sticking it in the corner of the living room. And someday it would be nice to have a bathtub again. Or a shower that is big enough to turn around completely in. And don't get me started about the water pressure!

People also mention how great it is that we don't have to worry about a car. Which, I admit, is a nice thing to not have to worry about, especially with gas prices being what they are. But what people forget is that we have to deal with public transport. Which, to be honest, is really good in London. But it does have his drawbacks. Sometimes it's really smelly. And full. And you have to stand in unbearable heat (because of course you have your layers on, because it's so cold outside). And if you happen to be on the tube, it can stop without any reason or warning. Sometimes for a long amount of time. And if you're one of the unlucky ones without a book or a paper or an iPod on you, it can be torture. And there's nothing you can do about it. Especially if you have to pee. Plus, going grocery shopping without a car is not fun, especially if you have a large load. In fact, I think our method of going grocery shopping (not unlike preparing to scale Mt. Everest) is worthy of a blog post all on its own.

My point of this post isn't to complain about what a tough life I have. I realize I don't. The intent isn't to downplay life in London. It's really a great place to live. It's got museums, theaters, and pretty much anything you want, culturally speaking. In fact, Matt and I have realized that we don't take as much advantage of what London has to offer.

My point is, if you're going to envy us, don't do it because of where we live. Envy us because of our dashing, movie star good looks, or our incredible talents in all things related to sarcasm and wit. Or our abilities to find great deals from Sainsburys or Tesco. But unless you take all things into consideration, don't envy us just for living in London.

Our lives are pretty normal and mundane, we go to work, come home, watch TV and occasionally we go to a movie. See? Not too different than where you live.

"Again she's writing straight to me!" you think "I'm the luckiest person alive!"

Now you think, "how does she know exactly what I'm thinking?"

I just do.

I just do.

5 comments:

CKW said...

I'm still going to go ahead and envy you living in london. I haven't lived there, but I have been there and I am reasonably certain that it is more exciting than Roy, ut. If I don't envy you for the city itself, I at least envy the close proximity to other cool places. (Although I admit, I would not like to haul children around with no car, and although my washer also takes an hour, and my dryer takes and hour and a half, I would not like to line dry again.) In Holland, I would drape my stuff around the room and turn up my heater. It was a laundry soap smelling sauna!
I want to see your apartment. I vote you post pictures of that next!

Jefe said...

Yeah...living in london would be amazing and exciting, but like C, I only really envy the culture and stuff. I really enjoy my living in the wild west, where rabbit hunting is literally only 3 minutes drive and 2 stoplights away.
I like big parks, and the fact that I can look out my window and see only mountains and wilderness, uninterrupted for 100 miles, except by the occasional polygamist compound.
But London is pretty exciting...

Mak said...

London, while filled with culture and stuff, left me feeling dirty (outside) so I don't know that I'd live there.

I would like to have an "adventure" and live in another country.

I'll have to tell DMP that "Austrasian" is catching on!

Anonymous said...

Is it me, or does everyone in London talk about the weather.....oh, how it always rains here....

matt...who loves the rain...not...

Bek said...

Good one. Having lived in London myself I can empathize with the laundry situation, but you get no sympathy from us on the rent issues!

The times that we lived in London and NYC, I remember thinking that once I had kids and a stroller to lug around, the charm would be gone....

Glad you are blogging! Now we need pictures!