Friday 31 October 2008

It's The Little Things

I am not a good sick person. I admit it. Luckily, I usually don't get sick very often. Except for the last month. Actually, I have been sick for over a month. It started out with a cold that took a long time in going away, then it morphed into 'lingering cough/pretty bad morning sickness' (for those of you who don't know, yes I am). And just this week, as the morning sickness has finally started to die down, I got another cold. It's important to note that I wasn't quite over the last cold(s) that I had.

And this most recent one was a doozie. I can honestly say that I've never gone through so many tissues/kleenex/paper towels (last resort) in my life. My nose would not stop dripping/running/being an overall pain in the face. I went through an entire box of kleenexes in four hours. I went through an entire roll of TP earlier that day. And I wasn't wasting these things...I used every part to its fullest capacity. Then we ran out of TP and kleenexes, so I had to use paper towels. Ouch. And yeah, I feel like a real winner with this chapped skin around my nose and upper lip. I'm such a hottie these days.

But I don't want the blog to revolve around me and my ailments (though your sympathy is always welcome...even when I'm not sick). No, I'd like to give a shout out to my wonderful husband. I really did something right when I agreed to marry this guy. He's been wonderful. He's shopped especially for the softest tissues for my nose. He's handled my food aversions and sickness without a word of complaint. He's come home to me groaning on the couch, half delirious mumbling incoherently and either made dinner, or actually ate what I'd prepared in my delirium (like frozen veg that wasn't quite unfrozen) he's done all of this without any complaint. He's always concerned about me.

I've been trying to be a more positive person. Like I said, I don't do sick very well, and it's fine when it only hits me once a year or so, but this fall I've been having is rough. However, having such a great husband has helped me want to be a non-complainer. So I'm trying to power through with a smile. Personally, I prefer the complaining, but you know...I'm always up for new challenges.

So here are some of the quirks about my husband that I love. He'll be horrified that I did this, but our six month anniversary just passed and well, I feel like doing it.

So here it is, just a spattering of things that I love about Matt:

How he has to sleep with three pillows (I have one) and how he creates what he calls his 'fort', which involves two at the head, and one along the side of the bed (not my side, the side on the edge...I suppose I make up the other wall of the fort) this is very important to him. In fact, one night I asked to have one of his pillows because my doctor suggested that sleeping with my head propped higher up might help me drain. He willingly gave it over, but the next night the pillow was off of the spare bed and making up the missing wall of his fort.

He loves playing Fifa on Xbox. I don't begrudge him this. He works hard, he takes care of me, and he really loves it. It allows him to live out his fantasy of being a football (soccer for all the yanks out there) manager. He can sell and buy players and then play them in matches. Currently he's managing Fulham, which is both of our favorite team in the Premier. He gets so excited when he scores goals and wins games, and kind of pouts a little when he loses...it's funny.

In the middle of the night when I wake both of us up with one of my infamous coughing fits, he always sleepily asks me if I'm okay and if he can do anything. He usually stays awake to hear my response.

He debates things with me. We don't really argue, but we both tend to have strong opinions and are kind of stubborn (which according to our most recent ultrasound, our child has inherited). But he doesn't let me win. He, of course, is always right and always wants to be the one to win...then again so do I. We're competitive that way (friendly though).

He's a great uncle. When he married me he inherited 11 nieces and nephews. And he couldn't be happier. He's always on the lookout for things for the kids and will often say things like "we should pop into that McDonalds there and see if they have any good toys for (insert niece/nephew name here)" and on their birthdays he always insists that the presents be perfect, even if I, with all my years of vast experience think otherwise. This is why our very active 4 year old nephew got a battery powered water gun that shoots up to 25 feet. Sorry again Bek.

He daydreams with me. And he listens to my dreams and fears and hopes. And he does everything he can to make them come true. Even if some of them involve winning the lotto or inheriting a large amount of money. Which he's still working on.

He's a great provider. He's a great encourager. He's convinced that I can do whatever I want and that I'll succeed.

I could go on and on, but let's face it. Most of you stopped reading about five paragraphs ago. I don't care. It's our blog and our history and I'm just very appreciative of the wonderful man I get to spend forever with.

Mock me if you will. I don't care.

Now, I've got to go and tell Matt how proud I am of him because Fulham just beat Liverpool in PK's (on Fifa of course, that would never happen in real life, unfortunately). That's my man!

6 comments:

Jenny Hansen said...

first of all--Congrats! (I didn't know)
second--I was ALWAYS my sickest when I was pregnant....I feel your pain.
third--glad you got a great guy!
when are you due?
FEEL BETTER!

Anonymous said...

To Matt....you are so good to our girl..But you only have to do this while she is pregnant! Then it will be your turn!!! Hang in there guy....only a little while longer.

I'm proud of your little family!
jmk

CKW said...

Hey! I do a "fort" too! Forts rule.

Adventures of Matt and Rae said...

Well congrats are in order!! I'm sorry you're feeling so sick. I got colds like they were going out of style while I was pregnant!

Bek said...

Ok, we don't do a fort, but both Derek and need three pillows...we each need one to "hug". We would hug each other, but we are too old for that (and all the dragon breath...ew).

I LOVE Matt too. We haven't had the chance to get to know him IRL, but look forward to it. AND, the watergun was awesome. Cubby has not broken it yet, so that is something.... ;-)

Mak said...

We love Matt, too. Mostly because he talks like a wiggle :). I'm glad you have someone to take care of you when you are sicko and preggo...