Saturday 9 May 2009

A Matter of Perspective...

Every now and then I post on here about the differences in communication Matt and I have. Usually, it's not too bad, an Aussie and a Yank living in the UK can usually come to a good middle ground on vocabulary and accents. But every now and then, a little confusion still happens.

Today was such a day.

We decided to be crazy and adventurous today and see a matinee of Star Trek. It's a short bus ride from our flat and movies (and short distances) are some of the few things I can still do comfortably being 9 months pregnant. The theater is also located in the same complex as the large Sainsbury's where we shop.

After the movie, Matt headed down to Sainsburys to pick up a few things we needed, while I cooled my heels at a coffee shop also in the complex (normally I'd go along with him, but I keep getting dang contractions that don't go anywhere, but are intense for short spurts, I was going through such a time).

When we got home, Matt was in the front room/kitchen area putting things away and I was in our bedroom tending to the all important (and quite consuming) task of taking my shoes off my semi-swollen feet. Now our flat is very small, so it's not uncommon for us to be able to carry on a conversation while in these two spots.

I will now attempt to recreate our conversation as I heard it:

Matt: Oh, you know what I forgot to get?

Me: What?

Matt: More mince.

Me: Oh, (I'm not too bothered by that).

Matt: Oh! And you know what else I forgot?

Me (struggling with reaching down to take off my shoe): What?

Matt: Cod.

Me (puzzled because we don't really eat much fish and cod definitely wasn't on the list): You forgot what?

Matt: to get a cod!

Me: Cod?

Matt: No...COD!

Me (thoroughly confused): You forgot to get cod?

Matt (deeper in the kitchen): Yes, I forgot to get a cod.

Me (still confused): Cod? As in C-O-D?

Matt: No, a Cod! C-A-R-D!

Me (remembering that we needed to pick some up for weddings/birthdays today): Oh, a card!

Matt: That's what I've been saying this whole time!

So there you have it, people complain about communication in their marriages all the time, but in our case I think there's actually some legitimacy to the claim.

3 comments:

Jefe said...

Best language barrier story since the jock strap fiasco of last year! I like seeing a new post or two! Good to hear from you on the internets!

Anonymous said...

Go Matt! School that Yankee woman!
jmk

Mak said...

Geeze matt- learn to speak proper english :) Your poor kiddo- she won't know what accent to adopt. I hope it is the Australian one, because that will be adorable!