Tuesday 2 March 2010

Rebel Child

Amelia is developing a very nasty habit. No, it's not smoking or picking her nose in public. It's much worse. She has developed the talent to zoom in and pick up/throw/grab/play with the one thing in an otherwise completely child proof room that she's not allowed to. I'm not sure where she gets this rebellious streak from, it certainly isn't me.

Luckily for me, she's only 9 months old, so I'm still outsmart her. For example, there's a perfectly good book on the floor in her area (the Hungry Caterpillar) which when she's in the mood, she loves to read. However, when she's feeling contrary, she'll reject it purely because it's me who gave it to her.

So lately I've been putting it in places that are kind of out of reach, but not really. Just enough so that she thinks she's being sneaky. And I'll say to her "Don't read this book." or "It's not for little girls." etc

Of course the minute my attention is diverted (at least if she thinks it is, see how smart I am?), sure enough she'll pick up the book and happily read it for minutes (because, come on, she is only 9 months old, she doesn't have that big of an attention span yet).

Will this practice get me in trouble? Is it teaching her to disobey what I say? Maybe. Personally, I prefer to think of it as adapting my parenting style to my child's needs. Once she can communicate back, it'll be something else.

In fact, I think I'm so clever, I should get an award. Like maybe a full night's sleep, uninterrupted.

2 comments:

JM said...

She is such a stinker-pie! You and Matt will have to step up your game to stay ahead of that one!

That's certainly better than holding whatever you want them to have and saying, "NO! MINE!" 'Cause that doesn't teach kids any bad manners!

Maybe try hiding it under a blanket or at the bottom of her toy box for the same effect, then it won't teach her conflicting stuff when you do put something away that you don't want her to get.

Bek said...

Welcome to parenting, or as I call it "doing stuff I never thought/swore I would never do". We used to call Jacob the truffle pig of danger. If there was a room FULL of toys, he would find the only dangerous thing there and get into it. These kids just know....