Monday 11 August 2008

If This is Sick, Then I Don't Want to Be Well...


There's a fever going on here at the Ngai household. A very serious fever. A fever that is recurring, but only every couple of years. What's it called you ask? I'll tell you: Olympic Fever. We love the Olympics. And pretty much everything that has to do with the Olympics. Unfortunately, since we live here in the UK, we don't get as much coverage on our respective countries we would like, but we have been pretty impressed with how well the BBC has covered the events, both online and on the telly. Of course, lots of time is devoted to the sports that Brits tend to succeed in, such as horse riding and badminton. But, even then, the Fever has hit us so hard, we'll even watch that, well at least badminton anyway. In fact, at one point this weekend we had both our laptops up, each with it's own event on the screen as well as the BBC broadcast. And last night, we had the US v China game on live on the computer, and we were watching badminton on the tv. Yeah, the fever has us hard.

While both Matt and I are affected by it, I have to admit that my case isn't quite as serious as Matt's. In fact, despite the fact that he's Australian through and through, lately he's been claiming China quite a bit. Forget the fact that Hong Kong has it's own team, and that's where his family is from. It would be the same as me claiming victory every time team GB did well, because of all my British ancestors. So I don't think it's fair that he can disregard China for four years and then all the sudden 'feel his Chinese blood stirring' when they do well at the Olympics.

But that might just be me.

This is the first time I've ever watched the Olympics outside of the US, and I miss all the national pride and bragging that comes with the sport. I didn't appreciate how nice it was to be in smug agreement with the TV about how great my country is, I mean, if you can't be extra patriotic in during the Olympics then when can you? During the 4th of July? Hah, I don't think so!

But all this exposure to the Brits take on the Olympics has made me consider something. As mentioned above, I'm being exposed to events that don't get as heavily featured in the states, maybe because the US doesn't do as well in those events, or maybe because they aren't as sexy as the other events or maybe because they shouldn't actually be in the Olympics. In this case, the answer is all three. Yes, you read correctly. I'd like to put forth that there is an Olympic sport that shouldn't actually be in the Olympics.

I haven't discussed my theory with anyone yet and I may get blasted. I may be sleeping on the couch tonight for saying something against the sacred Olympics, but I feel very strongly about this and think it needs to be said. So here it is:

I don't think equestrian should be an Olympic event. I base this reasoning on purely the reason because the horse is the one that does all the work. I'm not say equestrians shouldn't compete at all, but it shouldn't be in the Olympics. Now, I've been watching a few events and because of that, I've declared myself an expert.

In every other Olympic event, the competitor actually has to do something. In hurdles they have to jump, in running, they have to run. In equestrian, they what? Sit on top of the horse. Personally, I don't think it's fair that the rider gets the medal. It should be the horse. The horse is the one doing all the running and jumping, not the rider. Basically the rider dresses up in fine clothes and sits on top of the horse. Afterwards they get off and collect their medals and the horse gets what? Extra oats with its dinner? Is that fair? I'd like to put forward that it is not. Of course the horse would have to be born and bred in the actual country it was competing for, or at least have proof of citizenship if otherwise. Now don't give me those arguments that riding a horse and steering it are hard, they're not. Not like doing it yourself, for example. I'm just saying...

















But regardless about my feelings about equestrian, I continue to revel in the Olympicness of it all. I was dazzled and wowed by the Opening Ceremonies, which was only dampened slightly when I heard that the footstep fireworks across Bejing were actually CGI'd, and I'm looking more forward than ever about being in London during the 2012 Olympics.

Well, except for the equestrian of course...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too have been watching...only in the evening. Hope you got to see the 4x100 relay. The French trash talked the US team and were beaten by a finger length.

Per equesterian: I just watched a doc. on equest. jumping and the recent deaths of riders. Seems the courses are getting put together carelessly, trying to be more spectactular, judges unqualified,
etc. Sooo....If the riders come out of it uninjured and alive they should all medal!!!
jmk

Anonymous said...

Sorry, i omitted "swimming" 4x100.
jmk

Mak said...

We, too, have olympic fever (although not as much as you- two laptops and the Telly?). I wish that the US would show other events. I'm tired of swimming, gymnastics and maybe a little diving if those other two things aren't going on. I wouldn't mind watching some equestrian events or figuring out what "whitewater" and "flatwater" is.

FWIW- I've been cheering for the Aussies (when appropriate) because I like them, and I figure because of Matt I can claim a semi-ownership :). Go Matt- you claim that Chinese Heritage- don't listen to Kate.

Bek said...

I MIGHT have to agree with you on that one (sorry Matt).

I don't think that beach volleyball should be an event (yes, that is what they are showing here--along with synchronized diving and, of course, anything that Michael Phelps is in...not so much badmitten...BORING!!!).

Matt should be able to claim HK AND China b/c people probably assume that he is Chinese when they see him (before he confuses them with his accent). Out here (where we have TONS of asians from ALL OVER) the automatic assumption is that everyone is Chinese. So.. I say claim it!

I keep thinking about how cool your trip and now I want to go to China..so when you guys go back to visit, we want to come too!

BTW..what is your stake calling? Chris Taber called/emailed ME to find you... bad girl, then Topher wrote on his blog that you got a calling... I am dying...

Kate said...

Mom: All the more reason the event should be taken out of the Olympics, or better yet, just have the horses compete without the riders...

Mak: It's nice to know that you guys have it too. It is pretty contagious. Actually they have shown a bit of the kayaking events as well, and it's pretty fun to watch. They designed a river that looks like rapids and the kayakers have to go through and around specific posts.

Matt was pretty excited when he heard you supported Oz when you could. And sure you can claim ownership, after all, Matt's doing it for any country he has even the smallest association with, so you can too. ;)

Bek: Thanks for giving our info, they had our number wrong and I know the ward has our email info, I get stuff from the RS all the time and both Matt and I have gotten things from the ward. I did actually meet Chris on Sunday while talking to Chris Clark, so it was a little meeting of people who all know Rebecca. It was fun. It was good to catch up with Chris, it's always fun to talk to him.

My calling is the community relations person for the public affairs committee, meaning I help out when we do our massive stake service project called 'helping hands' typically it involves fixing up a school in not-so-good area, it's fun the entire stake turns out.

And it's okay not to side with Matt every now and then. I know he's our families newest flavor of the month, but he's not really right all that often. ;)