Saturday 25 July 2009

Adventures in Babysitting


I am a really good friend. A really good friend and neighbor. I'd have to be to agree to watch Amelia's 'friend' (I put it in quotes because she's really too young to know what a friend is) for a few hours yesterday. Baby S's mom is someone I met at the baby clinic, S is only six days younger than Amelia, so once or twice a week we get together and go on walks or just visit. We like it because we're able to have grown up conversations with someone other than our kids and husbands.

The reason that S needed a babysitter is because N (the mom) was going to her graduation ceremony for her Ph.D. They didn't allow children under 10 years old and not having any family close by, she was in a bit of a bind. So of course I offered. I haven't participated in the graduation ceremonies of my last two degrees, but I think I would for a Ph.D.

The times that she needed were from 12:30-4:30pm. Only four hours and no big deal. So she dropped S off and the adventure began.

I guess I learned what it would be like to have twins. Except in this instance, I only knew one of the twin's quirks and how to read them. It was tough! Especially when they both cried at the same time, who did I attend to?

Luckily for me, Amelia was very good that afternoon. She slept for a good part of it and played on her play gym for the rest of it. She only really fussed when she was hungry. Baby S, on the other hand just liked to fuss when she felt like it. To be fair, she'd just had her shots the day before and was probably feeling a bit cranky, I know Amelia was the day after she had her shots.

The main thing that I got out of this babysitting gig was how different these two babies are. Amelia weighs a good 2lbs more than S and is so much stronger. Baby S is way more floppy, I honestly thought I was going to break her. With Amelia, you can practically swing her by her ankles and she'd be fine. S isn't even close to sitting up on her own (even with support) in the way Amelia has since she was 4 weeks old.

Amelia is also more physical. She really bats and smacks any dangling toy she sees, while S looked at them, she just didn't do anything else. I could go on and on, but it would start making me sound very biased towards my own child (well more biased). One thing I will say, S was so much nicer to carry around. She would just settle in the crook of my arm and she is so light! Amelia is such a chub, and kicks and moves all the time, it's hard to do that.

Overall it was a pretty good experience. I didn't like how S's mom was 2 hours late though, because S really started to get cranky toward the end and spit up no less than 4 times in those two hours.

Anyway, now we've got some credit in the babysitting bank for the next time Matt and I want to go out. I will say this though, I'm really glad I don't have twins.

1 comment:

Kellie said...

Having twins I can tell you one at a time is so much easier! When they both cry at the same time I try to console both since I am a pro at holding them both but as they get bigger they push and hit at eachother because they don't want to share. That is one of the worst parts about twins is when they are both crying and there is only one adult around. Sounds like you handled it pretty good though.