Monday 20 July 2009

First Babysitter

On Saturday, Amelia had her first experience being babysat by someone that isn't a member of our family (my mom watched her for a couple of hours when she was here while Matt and I went to dinner). We have some lovely neighbors who have two kids of their own. Apparently their experience with their own kids has helped them be in tune to the needs of brand new parents, even if those parents don't know what they need themselves!

For a few weeks now, they've been insisting on babysitting for us so we can get some time to ourselves. We deflected them a few times, not wanting to fling Amelia on them, especially if it was a night that Lindsey was on her own (her husband is the stake president). However, earlier this week Matt got an email from Alan stating that they were going to watch Amelia on Saturday, no arguing.

So we dropped her off at their place and went to see the newest Harry Potter movie. It's really the only movie coming out that Matt and I both wanted to see in the theater, but we were planning on taking shifts (meaning I go one day, he goes the next). But this way we were able to go together.

I was a little nervous about leaving my little girl alone, even though I had the utmost trust in the people watching her, but it was still tough. But of course she did just fine and actually slept most of the time while we were gone.

And it was great to be able to do something without baby juggling and just the two of us. The movie was pretty good too.

So I guess we've passed a first milestone in our new lives as parents. I know, I know, soon enough we'll be anxiously looking forward to the babysitter coming over, but for now we're still pretty happy spending time as a family. We're still getting to know each other after all.

Amelia goes in for her first round of immunizations today, I'm sure it'll be harder for me than for her. I hope it doesn't make her feel unwell, poor girl. We do have the baby paracetamol on hand though, just in case.

See? I knew this blog would be so much easier to update when Amelia arrived.

3 comments:

JM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mak said...

It is so hard leaving them. Just wait until you leave them with a non-married with kids/non family member. I left the girls with 13 yr old twin babysitters and I was a wreck!

Glad you survived this first parent milestone :)

Sahara said...

Adam and I have talked about doing the "shift" thing to see movies, too. I guess you really have to make the effort to get the babysitter and go out together otherwise you do lose some of the romance after kids come along.